Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 1996 21:50:38 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI Motherboards..

Hi,

> I need to be able to handle 3 or 4 long PCI cards.

I just bought a gigabyte GA586DX and am quite happy with it.
It is a dual cpu board with an ATX form factor.  I believe they
also make a single cpu flavor of this board.  The ATX form
factor solves the "full length slot" problem as the board is
wider than long so most of the circuitry is to the side, NOT
to the back of the board.

check out:

http://www.surfusa.com/mbs/ga/586dx.html

and:

http://www.intel.com/pc-supp/motherbd/atx.htm

> Application:  anything using things like an Adaptec 3985 (think: NFS file
> server) or a Znyx 314 (think: nifty router).

If only we could pry the 3985 specs out of Adaptec....
Nice feature of the above board is that it has an Adaptec 2940 UW circuit
integrated onto the board, leaving a normally used PCI slot free.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD