Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:50:42 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        Bara Zani <bara_zani@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vi a Joke ?

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>>One point people forget and that is what can
>>you use when you mess up rc.conf and your system
>>will only boot into single user mode. Learning
>>vi at that point is a painic :).
>>

> Can't you just restore the previous copy of the file and reboot?  You made a
> backup copy of the last bootable version of the file before you changed it,
> right?

It is all too often a one line change and no one does a backup then.
That is what gets them in trouble to begin with. It doesn't happen that
often and I have always been able to mount /usr and correct the error
using my editor of choice. The thing you can't do is re-ftp a corrected
version or do an nfs_mount to pick up the backup. Occasionally, we see
files that are corrupt because they have <cr><lf>'s on the end of the line.

kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA