Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 20:33:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        hmmm <hmmm@alaska.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: modems

On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, hmmm wrote:

> > > i can't wait for a new sio driver!
> > I didn't know one was in the works.

i recently read somewhere that that was the case.

I haven't been tracking -current or -hackers but nothing has come through
the commit logs.

> > This is not FreeBSD's fault entirely -- apparently your Hayes requires
> > some sort of initialization and does not properly initialize at reboot.
> > Internal modems don't appear to work very well with FreeBSD.  I've seen
> > more problems with unresponsive internals than externals.

> regarding init - it does have standard Hayes/Inet defaults ...
> it was brand new.

I was meaning that the card may be waiting for some sort of probe that DOS
does (?) but FreeBSD doesn't do, or it's onboard UART emulator isn't
completely compatible with a standard UART, thus FreeBSD can't read it.

> how would i test that out when the kernels probes don't find it at boot
> time?  i would imagine certain kernel table entries get marked as
> "off/inaccessable"  when a probe fails - disallowing use of the device
> by normal methods.

I woudn't know.