Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:03:25 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nisha Talagala <nisha@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Explanations of Disk Error Messages

> There are a set of error message definitions in
>
> /usr/src/sys/cam/scsi/scsi_all.c, in the data structure
> static struct asc_table_entry asc_text[]. (The list is too long to
> include here)
>
> Most of them are mentioned in the SCSI-2 spec. The spec does not
> explain what disk behavior triggers each message though. Also, a few of
> the messages in the scsi_all.c code are not defined in the SCSI spec
> documents that I was able to download. The"Failure Prediction Threshold
> Exceeded" message is one of the undefined ones.
>
> Can anyone let me know what disk behaviour triggers each message? I'm
> interested in the following 3 messages in particular:
> 	- Pheripheral device write fault field replaceable unit

A hardware failure occured while writing (the FRU indicates the
vendor-specific code for the failed component or subsystem).

> 	- Diagnostic failure: ASCQ=Component ID field replaceable unit

Diagnostic checks of (component ID) indicated a failure of (FRU). Both
values are vendor-specific.

> 	- Failure Prediction Threshold Exceeded field replaceable unit

Drive-maintained statistics and tests indicate that (FRU) has an
unacceptably high chance of failure.