Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 17:31:16 -0700
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DGA on XF86 4.0

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 10:16:16PM -0400, Randall Hopper wrote:
> Anyone got the scoop on DGA v2 versus v1 differences?
>

> Alexander Langer:
>  |DGA doesn't work any more with fxtv since I've upgraded to XFree86
>  |4.0.
>  |Are there any plans to update that in near future?
>
> Kenneth Culver also reported this.  Apparently DGA v2 isn't backward
> compatible (I'm assuming your fxtv was rebuilt using XFree86 4.0
> libraries).  He said:
>
>    It seems that It's reporting that DGA isn't available:
>    I get this:
>    XF86DGAQueryDirectVideo() reports DGA not avail
>
> This rtn is returning False, which typically indicates failure.
>
> I've got my hands full with school right now, so I haven't even had a
> chance to install XFree86 4.0 yet.  But if you or someone with 4.0 wants to
> help out, it might not take much time and I'm sure others would sure be
> appreciative.
>
> If you've done some development, man XF86DGA might disclose what's changed.
> If not (out-of-date docs), /usr/X11R6/include/X11/extensions/xf86dga*
> probably will.
>
> Either way, try this.  Build fxtv from ports.  Then in tvscreen.c, play
> with the XF86DGA... calls.  For example, try replacing:
>
>            ret = XF86DGAQueryVersion( s->display, &dga_majv, &dga_minv );
> with:
>            ret = True;
>            dga_flags_sup = XF86DGADirectPresent;
>
> and see what happens.  "sync" your disks first.  Direct Video is dangerous
> if given the wrong address.  Erroneous (malicious or accidental)
> programming of the Bt8xx chip via the bktr driver is the single easiest way
> I know to trash your virtual memory space from userland.

By default DGA is not turned on in XFree86 4.0, I had to modify my
/etc/X11/XF86Config:

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection

That part is by default:

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.

    SubSection  "extmod"
        Option  "omit xfree86-dga"
    EndSubSection

--