Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:30:26 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE RAID

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 12:49:42PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > > BWT, is 3ware supported by FreeBSD in raid5 mode?
> > > 'man twe' tells only about 0 and 1 somewhy.
> >
> > Yes, it is.  I haven't had any time lately to test it, but it's known to
> > work.
>
> Yes, it just works. But the 3ware's current implementation seems
> to be not that efficient (compared to lowend SCSI-RAID-controllers
> like the Mylex 160/170 e.g.).

This is unsurprising.  Most of the SCSI RAID controllers have 66MHz or
faster i960 processors with dedicated XOR acceleration hardware, wheras
the 3ware controller uses a 25Mhz 16-bit processor.

3ware's RAID5 support is there primarily as a checklist item; RAID5 just
doesn't make cost-effective sense for their market.  You're better off
using a RAID10 setup.

> The conclusion (regarding cost/performance ratio) was pretty clear:
> Our new webserver machine got an 3Ware Escalade 6400 driving a
> RAID 0+1 Array.

This is the smartest approach, IMO.