Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:22:59 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with "host" command (doesn't return mx records)

In the last episode (Mar 21), Rahul Siddharthan said:
> The host command here is returning only the ip address if it
> exists (if not, nothing), it doesn't return mx records.

I think one of the bind updates changed the default behaviour of the
"host" command.  Aha.  I found the problem, probably a bug:

/usr/src/contrib/bind/bin/host/host.c line 273:

    if (gettype == 0) {
        if (verbose)
            printf ("Forcing -t a' for signature trace.\n");
        gettype = ns_t_a;
    }

So the default for "host" is now "host -t a".  I would suggest changing
it to read

    if (gettype == 0 && sigchase == 1) {

, so it only forces "-t a" if you actually want signature tracing,
which is undocumented anyway :)  I'll file a PR on this.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com