Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 16:50:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   /usr/include/sys How To question

Hi Y'all,

First, the story:

I have a data structure that contains something like this in it:

        u_int32_t state_ref_count[DLM_STATE_BITS];

Now, instead of putting #define DLM_STATE_BITS in dlm.h, it is
actually in sys/i386/conf/FOO as:

        options DLM_STATE_BITS=8

which then translates (according to sys/options, of course) to

        #define DLM_STATE_BITS 8

in /sys/compile/FOO/opt_dlm.h

Why do that?  if we need DLM_STATE_BITS to be only 8 instead of, say, 32,
and we need 20,000 of these structures, the savings will be about 60KB.

In reality the numbers are much higher.

Now, the question:

How do I integrate opt_dlm.h into sys/dlm.h so that it will reflect the
proper sizing? If the kernel was built on the target machine, it is simple.
If not, it can be nasty.

Any suggestion is welcome.

---

Sincerely Yours,                               (Sent on 10-Sep-97, 16:37:54
by XF-Mail)

Simon Shapiro                                                Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net          Voice:  503.643.5559, Emergency: 503.799.2313