Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 17:06:34 -0700
From:      "Robert L Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        "Douglas G. Allen" <dallen@roe35.lth2.k12.il.us>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Stable Listserv" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printcap question

Check this WWW: http://pdq.sourceforge.net/
Use the ports Luke /usr/ports/print/pdq
Also this page is a great help with PDQ itself.
http://www.linuxprinting.org/pdq-doc.html
Specific info on network printing.
http://www.linuxprinting.org/howto/network.html#NETWORKED-PRINTERS

"Douglas G. Allen" <dallen@roe35.lth2.k12.il.us>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
08/01/2001 01:20 PM

        To:     "FreeBSD Stable Listserv" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        printcap question

In conjunction with my question in the hardware list about printer
compatibility, I'm wondering if I've missed something somewhere in the
documentation.  Is there a setting that can go into the printcap entry for
a printer that will allow you to print to a printer with a network card
(EIO Card for HP printers) installed in it?  I looked, but I didn't see
anything that looked like it would be exactly what I was looking to do.

Example: I have several HP printers with EIO cards in them.  Each of them
is set to a distinct IP address (a.b.c.d), with a mask (e.f.g.h), in the
printer configuration.  For the Windows printers, you create the IP port,
assign the printer to it, then print to the IP address.  I'd like to do
something similar with a printcap entry and lpd and it would open up the
number of printers one can easily use greatly.

Thanks in advance for any information.

                 Doug