Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 08:44:01 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        pam@polynet.lviv.ua
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum in, but not in the Makefiles?

On Monday, 21 September 1998 at 15:29:27 +0300, pam@polynet.lviv.ua wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, 17 September 1998 at 18:27:47 -0500, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>>>
>>> i noticed "vinum" got added into the source tree, heard about it a few
>>> months back, LVM for freebsd sounds awesome.
>>>
>>> however it's not being built because it's not part of the subdirs in:
>>> src/sbin/Makefile
>>>
>>> how beta is it? or was this just an oversight?
>>
>> Congratulations for bringing light into the dark room.
>>
>> It wasn't an oversight.  I've been travelling the last 10 days, and I
>> didn't have time to make 100% sure that it wouldn't break a 'make
>> world' (I still haven't; I'm currently checking the -current version
>> out), so in order to ensure I didn't break everybody's make again, I
>> didn't update the Makefiles.  Expect them in Real Soon Now.
>
> Great!
>
> How would you describe the stage Vinum is on (e.g pre
> alpha/alpha/beta/release).

Well, since I put it in 3.0, I'd have to say it's beta.  The problems
it has at the momemnt seem to be more missing functionality than bugs,
though I still need to get a 'make world' through (I'm running into
unrelated bugs elsewhere in the tree).

> Maybe short list of what vinum can provide now in semi-production
> environment (without data loss and often hangs and panics)?

Well, off the top of my head:

- Striped and concatenated plexes work.  RAID-5 does too, but it's not
  in the publicly available version.

- Degraded operations work, in other words if a disk goes down, things
  continue to run.  ccd fails under these circumstances, and needs to
  be reconfigured.

- Recovery (rebuilding failed plexes) works.  I'm not really happy
  that I've fixed all possible race conditions in rebuilding while the
  file system is mounted, but I haven't had any failures yet.

- It's possible that a read from a newly failed drive may fail.  This
  is a bug or a misfeature, depending on the way you look at it.  It
  will be fixed, but since I need to retry the whole strategy, and the
  reads are currently done in interrupt context, it's a big one to
  fix.

> How it is comparing to current CCD driver?

I can't see any advantage that the CCD driver still has.  Vinum isn't
finished, but I think it has passed CCD in every respect.

Greg