Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:44:24 -0600
From:      Jason Spencer <JSpencer@epsb.edmonton.ab.ca>
To:        "'thierry@thomas.as'" <thierry@thomas.as>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Erratic PS/2 mouse with FreeBSD 4.1

> Hello,
>
> It seems to be a FAQ, but I have not found any solution for my
> case.
>
> The mouse is a PS/2 "Browser Mouse", with 2 buttons and a wheel.
> It's seen as a model 4DT.
>
> And its mouvement is erratic. When the mouse is in motion, the
> cursor often jumps upward and to the right. Sometimes the software
> (X) reacts as if one of the buttons has been pressed.
>
> Thanks for your help.

I had a problem like this when setting up a machine for a friend.
This is the config that ended up working:

In kernel config:
device	psm0	at atkbdc? irq 12
[same as GENERIC]

In /etc/rc.conf:
moused_type="auto"
moused_enable="YES"

In XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier "Mouse1"
	Driver	"mouse"
	Option	"Protocol" "Auto"
	Option	"Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
EndSection

[the capital "A" had me stumped for a while :) ]

If you're not using XFree86 4.X try:

Section "Pointer"
	Protocol "PS/2"
	Device   "/dev/sysmouse"
EndSection

-Jason
[I hope Outlook doesn't munk up my mail too badly. I'm at work.]