Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2013 15:33:10 +0200
From:      Tijl Coosemans <tijl@coosemans.org>
To:        Panagiotis Christias <p.christias@noc.ntua.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WITHOUT_NLS precedence over {UNIQUENAME}_SET or OPTIONS_FILE_SET?

--Sig_/gIT2RtXOtMk=l7HmO65.j+k

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 00:58:12 +0300 Panagiotis Christias wrote:
> in my servers I add all global and per port build options in the
> /etc/make.conf file, like this:
>=20
>   # Global options
>   WITHOUT_NLS=3Dyes
>   [etc..]
>=20
>   # Per port options
>   .if $(.CURDIR:M*/mail/mailman)
>   mailman_SET+=3DMTA SENDMAIL NLS
>   .endif
>=20
>   .if $(.CURDIR:M*/sysutils/coreutils)
>   coreutils_SET+=3DNLS
>   .endif
>=20
>   [etc..]
>=20
> In the above example, I was under the impression that
> "mailman_SET+=3DNLS" or "coreutils_SET+=3DNLS" options would override
> the global WITHOUT_NLS=3Dyes definition but according to "make
> showconfig" I was wrong.
>=20
> Is this the correct behavior? To me at least it doesn't seem right.
>=20
> To make things even more weird the following configuration works as
> expected:
>=20
>   # Global options
>   WITHOUT_NLS=3Dyes
>=20
>   # Per port options
>   .if $(.CURDIR:M*/mail/mailman)
>   mailman_SET+=3DMTA SENDMAIL
>   OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=3DNLS
>   .endif
>=20
>   .if $(.CURDIR:M*/sysutils/coreutils)
>   OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=3DNLS
>   .endif
>=20
> That is, OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=3DNLS takes precedence over WITHOUT_NLS=3Dyes
> but {UNIQUENAME}_SET+=3DNLS doesn't.

WITH_* and WITHOUT_* style variables are still supported for backward
compatibility but they are deprecated. There's some documentation in
Mk/bsd.options.mk on how to set options in make.conf and in what order
all option lists are processed. In your case you can do something like
this:

   # Global options
   OPTIONS_UNSET=3DNLS
=20