Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 1996 12:27:10 -0500
From:      chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu
To:        "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCO device drivers in FreeBSD

On Jan 12, 12:15pm, "Garrett A. Wollman" wrote:
} Subject: SCO device drivers in FreeBSD
} <<On Fri, 12 Jan 1996 09:45:40 -0500, chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu said:
}
} >         I know this is a bit obscure but Mach4 added support for
} > "ununmodified Linux network drivers" into their system. I also understand
} > that SCO is SYS V and not BSD but I'm curious if anyone ever put any
} > thought into it. (It would *definately* increase FreeBSD's device
} > base).
}
} SCO (and System V in general) has preserved a lot of the historical
} UNIX brokenness that 4.3 and 4.4 BSD went to considerable effort to
} abandon.  It would be very difficult, and probably counterproductive,
} to attempt to built a kernel compilation environment that supports all
} the old interfaces.
}

	Actually, what I had in mind was not necessarily reimplementing the
"historical UNIX brokenness" but perhaps implementing some form of
emulation.

} -GAWollman
}
}-- End of excerpt from "Garrett A. Wollman"

--
Charles Green, PRC Inc.			             UN*X System Administration
22 Powell Ave. Apt. B 		   	                  UN*X Security   &