Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 22:06:43 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Doug Jolley <doug@footech.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        teresa@bryfi.com
Subject:   Re: What's Bill Gates done to us now?

At 09:53 PM 12/29/98 , Doug Jolley wrote:
>I'm running a network consisting of a FreeBSD-based server and
>several Win95 workstations.  We use Samba to provide access to
>FreeBSD file space.  I have just added my first Win98 work station.
>All the networking works fine EXCEPT that we can't map file
>space on the server from the Win98 client.  Win98 complains
>that we aren't using the correct password.  We can log the
>relevant user onto a Win95 client and map filespace just fine.
>So, it appears that there is some relevant difference with
>Win98.  I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this
>and what might be done to fix it.  Thanks for any input.
>
>     ... doug

Win98 enables encrypted passwords. the easiest thing is to shut off
password encryption.

Copy the following (and be careful of text wrapping) to ptxt_on.inf,
right-click on it, and select Install

; Decrypt.INF
; Copyright (c) 1993-1995, Microsoft Corporation

[version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=Enable.Plaintext

[Enable.Plaintext]
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP,EnablePlainTextPassword,1
,01,00,00,00