Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 23:19:23 -0700
From:      "Lucky Green" <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Request: remove ssh1 fallback

If I understand correctly, the next opportunity after 5.0R to make a
change of such significance is FreeBSD 6.0. Since I suspect that few
folks will want to have ssh1 enabled by the time 6.0 is released, I
would like to request for the team to please consider disabling ssh1
fallback prior to 5.0R.

Ssh1 is fundamentally broken. It uses a CRC where a MAC is required.
While the attack detection logic in the code looks good, I don't know of
many cryptographers that would be willing to bet that no further attacks
exploiting ssh1's design flaws will be found. Ssh1 is a potential
security hole with very little utility remaining given that ssh2-capable
versions of ssh are readily available for a host of platforms and in
fact have been so for some time.

I therefore believe that the 5.0 release represents a perfect
opportunity to remove ssh1 fallback from the default distribution of
FreeBSD and hope the FreeBSD team will consider this change.

Thanks,
--Lucky Green