Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:57:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        Dan Langille <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbies FAK

My secret spy satellite informs me that on 27-Jul-98, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 23-Jul-98 Samantha Stack wrote:
>>
>>Just wanted to say I think the EFnet channel #freebsd is a lot of help
>>and also a lot of fun  :)
>>

> I've been in there, and been abused by an op for "not having learned
> anything" since the last time I was there.  I've found #freebsd on
> undernet to be less crowded and more friendly and helpful.
>
> For an example of the kind of help I've recently obtained from that
> channel, try the CD-ROM and bash sections of the webpage in my
> signature.

Don't write off the EFnet #freebsd channel so quickly.

We sometimes forget that the people behind those IRC screen names are,
when it comes down to it, "only human."  They have all the qualities and
failings that humans have had for countless generations.  They have bad
hair days, bad work days, bad bosses, bad traffic, bad coffee, bad
crashes, and all sorts of things that tend to alter a human's mood for the
worst part.  Plain and simple, Sometimes the ops get cranky.
Hell, Sometimes even the USERS get cranky.  And sometimes (really, most of
the time, from my experience), everyone's in a happy, joking,
willing-to-help mood.  Unfortunately, it's "luck o the draw" sometimes.

I *can* tell you that, if I happen to be on #freebsd, I always endeavor to
help, and if the oper's are acting skittish at the moment, I usually set up
my own channel and invite people there until things quiet down in #freebsd.
So look for the irc nick "dburr" :)
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com> *NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!*      | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.