Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:33:30 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   editing a makefile in ports

I don't know enough about coding or even scripting, I fear, to know if this
is an inane question or not.

Recently reinstalled 4.4 on a box.  Before installing X, I cvsup'ed,
including ports, and then installed XFree86 4.

Until a recently, this would have installed 4.1.x.  Now, it's been upgraded
to 4.2.0
Unfortunately, for whatever reason, while 4.1 worked perfectly on this
particular box, 4.2 has various problems.  If I simply edit the line in the
Makefile that says PORTVERSION =  4.2.0 and change it to 4.1.0 will that
solve my problem, or will there then be various other conflicts that I
don't know enough to see.

TIA

Scott Robbins