Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 23:00:04 -0400
From:      Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What's the relationship between soft-updates & async?

	Per <http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/makeworld.html>, I tried
remounting /usr async, but that appears to have had no effect. This
is in both 4.5-RELEASE and 4.6-STABLE.

>guest# uname -a
>FreeBSD guest.reppep.com 4.6-RC FreeBSD 4.6-RC #0: Fri May 31
>22:33:23 EDT 2002
>root@guest.reppep.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>guest# mount
>/dev/ad0s2a on / (ufs, local)
>/dev/ad0s2g on /home (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>/dev/ad0s2f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>/dev/ad0s2e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
>guest# mount -u -oasync /usr
>guest# mount
>/dev/ad0s2a on / (ufs, local)
>/dev/ad0s2g on /home (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>/dev/ad0s2f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>/dev/ad0s2e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>procfs on /proc (procfs, local)

	Does soft-updates override async / sync / noasync? Where is
soft-updates documented? I don't see anything in the mount or fsck
man page, or the Handbook; and the newfs man page just lists the -U
option, without any explanation.

						Thanks,

						Chris Pepper
--