Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 22:35:10 +0100
From:      roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Base tree bloating (Was: ex/vi version 1.79 now available for anonymous ftp.)

According to J Wunsch:
> Nope, we should seek a better solution.  Perl 4 is unsupported, and
> suffers from some bugs.

As Tom Christiansen like to say: ``Perl4 is dead dead dead'' :-)

> We better might find a way to update it by Perl 5, but with still leaving
> most of the bloat in an optional port.  I haven't looked into it yet, but
> i think of a Perl in the base system with about the same functionality as
> Perl 4 has right now, and an additional port that contains all that
> various module stuff etc.

Except that you'll have to separate "standard" modules and "locally added"
packages. I don't think that ripping standard modules from the base Perl 5
tree is viable.

> j@uriah 78% du -sk /usr/local/lib/perl5
> 2687    /usr/local/lib/perl5

247 [22:07] roberto@keltia:/build/angband-280> du -sk /usr/local/lib/perl5
8703    /usr/local/lib/perl5

Granted, I have a few modules (like Tk :-)).

264 [22:25] roberto@keltia:/build/perl5.003_07> du -sk lib ext pod
1537    lib
754     ext
1055    pod

+ perl/x2p binaries + manpages. OK, that's a bit more than 3 MB.

You'd have to deal with locally added packages (which can't go into
/usr/share/perl5) and fiddle with Config.pm for site_perl.
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
  FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #26: Sun Oct 27 19:39:11 MET 1996