Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 2014 08:47:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
To:        "Baptiste Daroussin" <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org, Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
Subject:   Re: Removal of legacy X.Org (aka non-WITH_NEW_XORG)

> [...]
>> >        whole stack in one pass).
>> >     3. KDE and, in the near future, GNOME 3 available as packages in the
>> >        main repository and on install medias.
>> >
>> > Great, but what does it break?
>> >
>> > The only regression is for users of Intel GPUs and FreeBSD 8.x and
>> > 9.0. Those versions of FreeBSD lack the required kernel driver and
>> > therefore xf86-video-intel won't work (the last UMS-aware version
>> > doesn't work with xserver 1.12). Users can still use xf86-video-vesa if
>> > they can't/don't want to update their FreeBSD workstation. To install
>> > xf86-video-vesa, run:
>> >     pkg install xf86-video-vesa
>> > or
>> >     portmaster x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa
>> >
>> > There won't be any regression for owners of Radeon GPUs because
>> > xf86-video-ati 6.14.6 (the last one with UMS support, which fortunately
>> > works with xserver 1.12) is provided as a separate port. To install this
>> > UMS driver:
>> >     pkg install xf86-video-ati-ums
>> > or
>> >     portmaster x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-ums
>> >
>> > In the longer term, we suggest you update to FreeBSD 10.x (10.1-RELEASE
>> > is around the corner). For example, you can find instructions to update
>> > to 10.0-RELEASE here:
>> >     https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.0R/installation.html
>> >
>> > Note that there's a know regression with syscons and kernel video
>> > drivers: you can't switch back to a console once an X.Org session is
>> > started. A new console driver called vt(4) fixes this issue while
>> > bringing nice features. It's available in FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE and
>> > 10.1-RELEASE but isn't enabled by default. To enable it, put the
>> > following line in your /boot/loader.conf:
>> >     kern.vty=vt
>> Ugh. We've just spent the last 4 mos. tooling up for a migration of all our
>> server farms from RELENG_8 --> RELENG 9. It would have only taken 1 mos.
>> but for pkg(8) debacle. Now, if I understand correctly. The current release
>> schedule has effectively become:
>>
>> RELENG_8.4: June 30, 2015 ===> October 8, 2014
>>
>> RELENG_9: December 31, 2016 ===> October 8, 2014
>>
>> :(
>>
>> FWIW I'm looking forward to the NEW_XORG. But testing 11-CURRENT
>> indicates vt(4) isn't ready for prime time. Which makes it difficult
>> to justify it's requirement in RELENG.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>  disappointed.
>
> No 8 is still supported and 9 as well, what you miss is that in any case the
> graphic stack with old xorg on Intel it anyway broken right now, X server or gtk
> application segfaulting all the time.
>
> meaning that xorg 1.12 and xorg 1.7 makes pretty much no differences on intel on
> FreeBSD 8 and FreeBSD 9.
>
> For all other drivers xorg 1.12 works pretty well on FreeBSD 8 and FreeBSD 9 as
> long as you do use the ums driver for ATI, nvidia work normally, vesa as well.
> No changes here, with the previous, you do not need kms neither vt.
Thank you _very_ much for the clarification, Baptiste.
If I understand [you] correctly; I will be able to use the NEW Xorg in RELENG_9,
and that [effectively] only the Intel drivers are affected?
en re vt(4); I am experiencing issues with vt(4). I'm testing on 11-CURRENT.
Specifically; [left-button drag] selecting text withing xterm, and
[left+right click] pasting, causes the d character to be prefixed to the
pasted test, and again, the d character is suffixed to the pasted text, and will
repeat (infinitely) unless the backspace key is pressed to stop it. Has this
been addressed?
Lastly; As we are almost exclusively on nVidia based graphics, can we [safely]
presume we are not affected by the XORG changes?

Thank you again, Baptiste, for your thoughtful reply.

--Chris