Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 23:16:08 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        StevenR362@aol.com
Cc:        roberto@hsc.fr.net, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP: Cyclades Drivers

>       This is a bit harsh.  From my, perhaps faded, recollection it was more
> along
> these lines.

Unfortunately, your recollection is a bit too faded.  Or perhaps you
simply weren't privy to some of the conversations that were flying
around.  It went more like this:

" Brian:  I have this new driver that I think works better than the existing
one.

FBSD:  "Huh!  Cool.  However, looking at it, there appear to be some
serious problems with it in a few areas.   What are your plans?"

Brian:  "Well, those problems aren't really important to most of my
users so I'm not going to do anything about them."

FBSD:  "But these are serious shortcomings.."

Brian: "Sorry.  Not interested."

Bruce: "Hey, I've got the Werple driver basically re-written, and it works."

FBSD: "Oh my.  Hey, Brian - now we have two!  What do you want to do?"

Brian: "I don't care, I'm burnt out on the whole issue now."

FBSD: [thinking to itself] "My!  Brian doesn't seem to have a very high
tolerance for dealing with the types of issues which surround volunteer
projects like this one.  What a shame..  Bruce?  Let's have a look at your
driver then!"

>    I also seem to recall a William_something_or_other?  Who had a
>replacement driver for sio who was also told to take a hike about a
>year ago as well.  It seems there's a little bit of NIH in the serial

We're not suffering from HIH, we're simply not willing to bend over
backwards to accomodate prima-donna hacker types who run yelling the
minute there looks to be the slightest resistance to their ideas.

Everybody experiences a certain resistance to change in this project,
and I think a certain amount of that resistance is even healthy.  No
one is exempt from this, neither outsiders nor insiders, and it would
mainly appear to be those outsiders who are unable to accept criticism
of their code without taking it deeply personally that have the most
trouble working with this project.  Those who have been able to
successfully separate ego and code are all still with us and
contributing daily.

					Jordan