Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:10:22
From:      "Aaron Hill" <hillaa@hotmail.com>
To:        bob@eng.ufl.edu, stannous@cisco.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Thinkpad T20 now works! (was: thinkpad t20 woes (creating slices))

> > I read the various posts of problems installing
> > freebsd (I'm using 4.2 stable) on an IBM thinkpad
> > T20.  The laptop freezes up (the BIOS apparently
> > can't handle a type 165 (0xA5) partition) and
> >[...]
>
>Two or three days ago I read that IBM just released
>a BIOS upgrade that solves this problem.  You might
>want to check with IBM support.
>
>I think this is what I was reading:
>http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=1555

Yes, IBM has released v1.10 T20 and T21 BIOS which fixes, among other
things, the laptops inability to boot from partitions with ... "partition ID
of n5h.(n is 1 or greater)".

Here's the T20 BIOS...
http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR-4JWNJC.html

Here's the T21 BIOS...
http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR-4PJN8Y.html

So please upgrade those T20 and T21's to BIOS 1.10 before attempting a
FreeBSD install and all should work.

Aaron Hill