Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 12:41:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Chane L. Fullmer" <chane@cse.ucsc.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fips and win95 on a winbook

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Chane L. Fullmer wrote:

> We have just bought a couple of winbook FX machines and are
> haveing a real problem getting FreeBSD installed..
>
> 1) the 2.2 boot disk doesn't find the 3COM 3c589c card

1.  Make sure you've disabled the ze0 driver.  It will clash and mess up
zp0.  Hit 'scroll lock' and arrow up to see the boot messages.
2.  Run 3c589cfg against the card and hard-wire it's settings to something
sane, like irq 10 port 300.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to use the 2.1.5 PAO boot floppy.  I had
a Gateway Solo with a Cirrus Logic PCIC that FreeBSD refused to talk to.
The PAO-enhanced floppy worked like a champ.  I can provide a URL on
request.

> 2) the FIPS program won't partition the win95 disk because
>     it finds a file type of: 0Bh, and won't continue..

Huh?  Run scandisk and defrag against that disk, make sure it's in good
shape before FIPSing.

Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon..edu    | Residence Networking Assistant