Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:57:31 -0500
From:      leegold <leegold@operamail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: vesa bus x driver ?

Mine is an onboard chip in an IBM 486 value point pc.
w/1 meg video ram.

But, I got X up and running.

I used "generic VGA" for the card/chip
and VGA - the barest bones config. for the
monitor, and I think "16" for the color depth
(one up from the lowest) and you know -
I got a simple but nifty x-windows.

I think they key was to select generic VGA for the card.
I'm not getting all the perfomance I can get out of the
chip but Hey, I'm not using this thing for CAD to design
suspension bridges. Not flashy but seems OK.

Thanks,
Lee G