Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 20:23:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Supported ways to do RSA/OpenSSL on 4.0?

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Robert Watson wrote:

> I was pointed to you for questions regarding whether or not certain ports
> would be working udner 4.0-RELEASE -- specifically, OpenSSH and related
> applications which depend on SSL/RSA.

All of the ports which explicitly depend on openssl should be working on
all supported versions of FreeBSD, modulo screwups :) Jim Bloom has been
putting a lot of work into getting these working - I have a couple of
patches to commit, but they mostly seem to work fine as far as I've
heard.

However, Jordan mailed me this morning about a build problem with openssh
on a fresh installation which looks very strange - it's like the test for
a RSA-enabled openssl is falsely passing, which causes the build to die.
This may be the problem you're seeing - as yet I don't have any real clues
about why. Could you send me a build log from one of the failing ports as
well as the output of 'nm /usr/lib/libcrypto.a | grep RSA_free'? Is this a
fresh installation, i.e. with no older cruft possibly lying around?

> Do we plan to provide a consistent and documented way for users of
> FreeBSD to go from the RSA-disabled base library set to the
> RSA-enabled set, and in a way that provides adequate instruction?  I
> get rather uninformative errors when trying to compile

See chapter 6.5 in the handbook.

> OpenSSH, SSLproxy, and Apache13-modssl, none of which is discovered by the
> ports mechanism, rather the application makefiles.  While I understand
> that you are not the maintainer for these ports,... :-)
>
> It might be nice, for example, to have a stage in sysinstall for
> crypto-configuration--it would also be accessible post-install, and would
> provide easy access to install via package the underlying RSA libraries,
> with appropriate documentation of licensing issues and confirmation of
> location, etc.  Presumably one could back-end this onto a set of ports or
> packages, so there would be  more scalable command line/scriptable
> interface.

The packages already exist and are described in the handbook, except they
haven't yet made it onto the ftp site. You can pick them up from
http://www.freebsd.org/~kris/openssl in the meantime. Sysinstall support
is something I'd definitely like to see, but not something I have time (or
knowledge) to do right now.

I'll be adding some instructions to the release notes this weekend, and it
should be giving a helpful error message if you try and install a port
which requires RSA and you have a non-RSA library:

.if ${USE_OPENSSL} == RSA
_HASRSA= "`/usr/bin/nm /usr/lib/libcrypto.a | /usr/bin/grep RSA_free`"
.if empty(_HASRSA)
.BEGIN:
        @${ECHO} "This port requires RSA crypto, which is not present in
your"
        @${ECHO} "version of OpenSSL. Please see Chapter 6.5 in the
handbook"
        @${ECHO} "for a description of the problem and alternative
solutions."
        @${FALSE}
.endif
.endif

Kris

----
"How many roads must a man walk down, before you call him a man?"
"Eight!"
"That was a rhetorical question!"
"Oh..then, seven!" -- Homer Simpson