Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 07:22:12 +0200
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        John Telford <j.telford@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Macintosh access to FreeBSD over TCP/IP ??

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 11:31:07PM -0400, John Telford wrote:

> Be gentle, I'm very new to the FBSD environment.
> Is there a way that TCP/IP based Mac users can access a FBSD box on
> their local Lan from their Apple Chooser ?
> I'd like it to appear as just another file server to them, but I don't
> want to have to put any appletalk ports/protocol on the FreeBSD box. I'
> d like to keep it pure IP.

You can use at least netatalk, it is a file and print server for Unix in
general and there's also a FreeBSD port. It can run IP-only, but your
FreeBSD/netatalk box won't appear in any MacOS Chooser when there's no
AppleTalk (to be more specifix, EtherTalk) support, as this part of the
communication is still done with EtherTalk. You can access the machine with
AppleTalk-over-IP when your Macs support it (there are updates available).

But you want to appear it in the chooser, so go with EtherTalk. Under
FreeBSD, this is no hassle, there's the NETATALK kernel option for
supporting that protocol and there's CAP which even doesn't need that
(but instead of it, Berkeley packet filters).

Regards,

Martin
--
      ,,Oh, there's a lot of opportunities, if you're knowing to take them,
                  you know, there's a lot of opportunities, if there aren't