Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 16:08:46 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, yves@CC.McGill.CA, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: SDL cards

> Oh, they're cheap too (~$2k).  CISCO, watch out in the access router
> marketplace; you have some serious competition out there.

Not to mention the competition they have in the central site router in
the MAX 4000 class.  While this box may seem pricey, it's quite
remarkable in the tricks it can do for you.  Especially if you have a
channelized T1 with some dedicated circuits and voice channels that
you'd like to zing off to your PBX.  It can, for example, translate
the usual loop start/ground start/wink start signalling on a
channelized T1 into ISDN signalling on a PRI (looking like a switch)
to drive your ISDN capable PBX.

> > Disclaimer: at my day job, I work at UUNET Technologies, and we have
> > about 500 Ascend MAX 4000 boxes deployed in the field on about 1000
> > ISDN PRI's.  Having the product work is a big feature.
> >
> > Louis Mamakos
>
> Yep.  I run MCSNet, and we switched about a month ago from traditional
> modems to Maxen as well.  We also find that they work quite well.  Still
> some software quirks, but I'd never go back to the old way.

Yup, once you've done it, you realize how good it can be.  I couldn't
*imagine* installing any dial facilities using 2 wire analog loops, or
even a pile 'o BRI lines.  You get so much better density and lower
costs with the digital entrance facilities, not to mention being more
reliable and easier to maintain.

> Being able to get 500+ lines in one 84" cabinet is a big plus :-)

Yeah, did I mention density?  And no stinking RS232 cables...

louie