Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 23:42:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dexnation Holodream <dex@wankers.net>
To:        Gary Roberts <garyr@wcs.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 Mobile Adapter supported?

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Gary Roberts wrote:

> I'm trying to load 2.2.7-RELEASE on a new Toshiba notebook which
> has the above PCMCIA card but it doesn't seem to be detected by
> the GENERIC kernel.
>
> I assumed that since the Intel EtherExpress PRO/10 is reported as
> supported, it would probably also be in the PC card format as well.
>
> Can anyone advise whether there is any support now or in the near
> future for this card?

ok...first off...the PRO/10 driver is PCI only.  #2  only NEW revisions of
the card work...I have the OLD revision, and am considering writing a
driver, but intel's documentation is VERY hard to find on the chip that
drives it (the 82596)...I've found documentation to port to the NEW chip
from the OLD, but none on the 82596...now...the pcmcia card doesn't use
the PCI bus calls, it uses the PCCARD calls, which is a complete other
ball of wax.

now...if I can get the specs, I'll code a driver for the OLD one (fps
driver, for fscking piece of spam...) anyway, I don't know how common it
is, but the 82595 is the chip on the ISA cards, which is very common...the
82596 is a local bus chip...and has a second chip for the bus (which
handle the PCI stuff)...later, they designed a new chip (used on the
NEW Pro10+'s, and the Pro10/100's...fxp driver) which has all of the PCI
stuff on-chip, and has a reduced instruction set, and adds a reset
instruction (I'm not going to go into details here, as this isn't a
technical list).

Anyway, if people are interested in the 82596 driver, and would like to
support the effort, I'd appreciate any help they can offer (documentation
you may have, spare cards that are based on it for testing, RAM for the
test machine if you can spare it (cooked a 32meg 72-pin SIMM...lost my
test machine), anything else you may want to contribute to the effort).

I would write a driver for the PCCARD version, but I have neither a test
card, nor a test machine for it, so, unless someone wants a driver badly
enough to supply both of the above, you're out of luck on getting it from
me.  Lemme know what's up, folks :)

-Jon