Date:      Fri, 2 May 2014 19:37:09 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Sophoklis Goumas <olspookishmagus@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: enough already ..

On Thu, 1 May 2014 22:00:09 +0300, Sophoklis Goumas wrote:
 > On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:

It's best to quote the text you are responding to, so people can see
how or whether your response addresses that .. so I'll requote myself:

 : The current, long-term policies for this list work well if people
 : will be disciplined enough to a) just ignore/delete spam on the list
 : or b) if you can't ignore it, send offending messages - including ALL

Note carefully that I was addressing "spam on the list", not the private
messages being recieved, about which postmaster@ can do NOTHING AT ALL.

 > What will sending the full headers of the offending messages'
 > to the list's postmaster trigger?

For spam sent TO the list, if it's annoying repeat offending and not the
occasional drive-by shooting from 'SEO optimisers' and similar scumbags,
the postmaster (team) can block the sending host, if it's identifiable -
and it's only identifiable from complete header information.

 > Isn't the postmaster already receiving those?

I doubt anyone on the postmaster team has time to read this training
wheels list, so often lately full of off-topic crap - yes, like this!
idea of the scope of the FreeBSD postmasters' task.

 > Would we be just "poking" for taking action against the offending
 > senders/domains?

Well I'm certainly not advocating trivial annoyance of already very busy
volunteers.  The now postmaster-emeritus did appreciate _useful_ reports
and usually acted on them.  Noone has any 'right' to spam these lists.

 > Isn't this something the postmaster is already doing?

Not without useful help from participants.  Do you really think there's
someone ploughing through all this drivel who has nothing better to do?

I've already blown it by participating, no doubt making things worse :(

Mea maxima culpa, Ian