Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:12:08 -0500
From:      "Thatcher Hubbard" <hubbardj@earthlink.net>
To:        "'FreeBSD questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Disappointment with FreeBSD  :-(

  This isn't a bug per se, and it may be something that's been gone over
here on the mailing list before, I've mailed a couple people the solution
that worked for me.  BTW, wd1 is actually your second drive, wd0 is the
primary master.  The question is, do you have a primary slave?  If you do,
the root is probably on wd2s1a.  Anyway, I'll include the relevant text of a
message I posted here awhile ago.  Give it a try.

>>  Hah.  I booted of the fixit floppy because of this for two months.  I
finally dug the >>following (a /boot/loader.rc file) out of the mailing list
archives after a couple hours >>of searching:

>>load /kernel
>>load -t userconfig_script /boot/kernel.conf
>>set num_ide_disks=1
>>set root_device_unit=1
>>autoboot 5

  So edit your /boot/loader.rc, but don't copy verbatim what I have.  If you
only have two HD's, and they're both IDE, change the 'set num_ide_disks'
line to 2.  The 'root_device_unit' should stay at one in that case if it's
on your second drive, because it starts its numbering at zero.