Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 10:39:28 +1000
From:      Carl.Makin@ipaustralia.gov.au
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   buildworld pic problem

While doing a "make buildworld" on Friday I ran into the following error;

cc -O -pipe -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld/rtld/..
-I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld/rtld -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld/rtld/../i386 -fpic
-fno-function-cse -DRTLD   -I/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include  -nostdlib
-Wl,-Bshareable -Wl,-Bsymbolic -Wl,-assert -Wl,nosymbolic -o ld.so
mdprologue.o rtld.o malloc.o shlib.o md.o support.o sbrk.o  -lc_pic
-lgcc_pic
ld: -lc_pic: no match
*** Error code 1

My previous buildworld was a couple of months ago.  It wasn't hard to get
around (just dive into the right directories and build and install
libc_pic.a and libgcc_pic.a).

I'm not that up on the FreeBSD buildworld process however this makes me
wonder.

Those two librariesseem to be new since I didn't already have them in
/usr/lib,and they are either built after ld.so in the normal buildworld
sequence or the includes for ld.so don't point to the right place to pick
them up.

So, is there a problem that, if the two "pic" libraries change then that
change won't be picked up immediately?

Carl.