Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2012 20:50:43 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to keep freebsd-update from trashing custom kernel?

Everyone:

Just ran freebsd-update (fetch, then install) on a system on which
I run a customized kernel, and discovered that it has overwritten
my custom kernel... even though I'd copied the original to
/boot/GENERIC when I first installed the system. I was under the
impression that creating /boot/GENERIC, and putting the GENERIC
kernel in it, would cause freebsd-update to update that directory
rather than one's custom kernel. I now must rebuild the kernel to
keep the machine working.

What went wrong, and how do stop it from recurring?

--Brett Glass