Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:02:44 -0700
From:      "Alex Davidson" <alexd@idcomm.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Newbie - Users and Groups

I am still new to this so bear with me.
I originally installed v2.2.7 from a DOS partition and then installed
downloaded apps when logged in as root thus causing space problems on /.  I
then decided that as I had learned so much the first time and I had used it
so little anyway that it wouldn't hurt to re-install from scratch - plus I
finally had my hands on the Complete FreeBSD book with the CDs - thanks
Greg! ;-)
So I re-installed last night and when I did I added a group called users and
created a user named alexd and said I was in the users group.  Everything
cool so far.
I then logged in as alexd and tried (for example):
cp /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.sample /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
and
ee ppp.conf
and
ppp
and found that my privilege level was not sufficient to allow to do any of
those things (save changes in the case of ee ppp.conf).  I then logged in as
root and changed /etc/group and on each line where root was listed I added
",alexd" - I can now become superuser as I am in the wheel group but am
still unable to copy, save changes to files in ee or run ppp!

What am I missing here?  Strikes me there's got to be a way to allow users
1) the same access as root, or 2) some of the access that root has like
running ppp but not necessarily changing the ppp.conf file - I would like 1)
for myself but 2) for others.

Can someone point me to a site maybe that would get me going?  I am still
working through Greg's fab book but although it discusses groups and users
it doesn't seem to answer my questions.

Thanks,
Alex