Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 18:22:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
To:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weirdie with SLIP line seen here too...

I am one of the "gurus" at RPI on dialup networking, and I have seen
interesting behaviour that mimicks it, but only for specific users.

Here are the simplist case symptoms:  Client machine is connected to a
dialup server (Xyplex) on subnet "A", a "ping" from a sun on subnet "B" to
the client works, as long as the ping packet size < ~1400. a ping from my
FreeBSD machine to the client always works, up to the largest allowed ping
packet size.  This has ramifications in that this hold true for ANY ip based
packet.

Another case is: I can retrieve ANY size web document from my machine, or
www.mit.edu, but only documents that are very small << 1400 from the local
web server www.rpi.edu.

The only solution I have seen to this is to set the MTU = 552.  The really
weird thing is that this affects 1/10 machines, and there is no commonality.

--
David Cross
ACS Consultant