Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 09:42:19 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: I have authorization to buy a CD-R drive..  Which one? :-)

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> So, the only question is: Which model?  I'd like to buy one of the
> cheaper models, like the new HP, I just don't have any part numbers to
> pass on to our local hardware vendor.

For certainly very apparent reasons :), i would recommend you the
Plasmon RF4100 (or successor).  Technically, it's comparable to the
cheap HP drives, i think our drive was ~ 1800 DM, but computer parts
are usually a bit more expensive here.  It comes with 2 MB cache, and
you can stuff up to 32 MB into it.

For certain reasons, i tend to believe that this drive will be the
first CD-R officially supported by FreeBSD. :-) You could even use the
hacky Perl script i've been posting, after a few minor kernel fixes i
have yet to commit.  It doesn't do very much yet, but allows you to
burn just a single data track.  Please, make sure you've got team(1)
installed before starting it.

--
cheers, J"org