Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:43:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   inetd_enable=?

Did inetd_enable in /etc/defaults/rc.conf begin defaulting to NO instead
of YES?  After upgrading a box remotely, and rebooting...  I was stumped
as to why I could ping it but not SSH to the box.  Checked UPDATING, and
changed the ephemeral port range back thinking that may be the cause...
Then I started using my head for more than a hat rack, and noted that ps
didn't show inetd running. (Always check the simplest things last!)  I
usually run sshd, but this box is rarely touched in person so I'd opted
to call it from inetd.

Is this just me, or did something change?  I didn't previously need
inetd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf, only inetd_flags...  I've looked back
through -stable and don't see anyone else mentioning it.  That must mean
everyone else knew and I overlooked the headsup, or I'm the only guy using
inetd to spawn sshd.  :)

This is a backend box, sporting 2-way 2Ghz Xeons with 768 bit server
key...  So I never really notice a downside to running sshd from inetd.
My past assumption was inetd's been around longer, so is less likely to
crash or die than sshd.  Granted, that assumption becomes less useful by
the day.

Later,
-Mike

 safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  --Benjamin Franklin