Date:      Sun, 07 Aug 2005 10:06:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        cperciva@freebsd.org
Cc:        hrs@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/portsnap vs. /var/db/portsnap

In message: <42F61960.4020400@freebsd.org>
            Colin Percival <cperciva@FreeBSD.org> writes:
: Hiroki Sato wrote:
: > Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org> wrote:
: > cp> Hiroki Sato wrote:
: > cp> >  So, I would like the server-side bits to be imported if portsnap will
: > cp> >  be in the base system.
: > cp>
: > cp> By "server-side", do you mean
: > cp> a) The code which builds the portsnap files,
: > cp> b) The code which mirrors them, or
: > cp> c) The web server (Apache) which actually sits on port 80 and
: > cp> communicates with the portsnap client?
: >
: >  a) and b).
:
: Those don't belong in src, but I could put them into the projects repo
: if people really want them.  I was planning on just providing them to
: portmgr and secteam since there's no reason for anyone to be running
: their own portsnap builds,

Acutally, there are plenty of reasons.  I've worked at places that did
similar things to portsnap to create standard packages that were
installed on all the machines of a certain type (workstation, server,
etc).  I can easily see large organizations wanting to do this.

: very little reason for anyone to be running
: a portsnap mirror unless it's a public mirror,

Our experience with cvsup would suggest otherwise.  Many places with
large numbers or even small numbers of machines run cvsup mirrors that
are private.  I expect that universities will want to run mirrors that
they might not want non-students accessing (eg, internal bandwidth is
free, external is expensive).

: and my experience with
: FreeBSD Update is that making code available will result in people
: trying to use it even if they really shouldn't be using it.

That's the chance you take with open source. :-)

: (I've had
: many email exchanges about FreeBSD Update which basically ran "I can't
: get the FreeBSD Update server code to work, help!", "Why do you want
: to run the FreeBSD Update server code?", "Uhh... I have no idea.  I'll
: just download the client and use the updates you're building.")

The world is full of idoits.  It is also full of smart people who do
smart things with technology.  Don't let the idoits ruin it for the
rest of us.

Warner