Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 18:44:07 +0000 ()
From:      User GEOFF <geoff@schwing.ginsu.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   I/O woes.

Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions which I hope I'm posting to the right
place.  In fact, of all the FreeBSD lists I joined, this seems to be the
most (only) active group.  :)

In any case...

After doing my homework I decided to go with FreeBSD due to the fact that
it was reported to be one of the fastest x86 based UNIX's arround.  I've
had numerous people on the ISP groups recommend it.  The problem that I'm
having is with the sio[1234] devices.  I'm loosing characters all over
the place and every one and a while I get big blats of garbage.  It
sounds like a handshaking problem but I can't seem to egt hardware
handshaking going.  This even happens at 9600 bps, although to a lessor
degree.

My configuration is pretty standard.  I'm using an older 486/33 with 16
megs of RAM and ISA bus.  The ports are all controlled by 16550s.  Do I
have to do anything special to get them operating with the 16550s
properly?  I've got one modem hooking me to the internet via 28.8 modem
and two dial-up 14.4 modems for user access.  Kinda a micro ISP.  ;)

I'm running FreeBSD 2.0, which was the most current CDROM I could get.
Is this a know problem?  Do I need more processing power to handle the
interupts?

The upgrade issue is where my second question comes in.  I can't seem to
locate the SUP binaries and the aren't where the README indicates.  I've
tried uncompressing the source package and compiling it to no avail.  If
someone could point me at the location of the binaries I may be able to
upgrade and the problem might just disappear.

Looking hopefully to 2.1,
Geoff.