Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 05:25:34 -0500
From:      GH <grasshacker@over-yonder.net>
To:        Srinivasa Rao <srrao@india.hp.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Free Bsd installation

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 02:48:21PM +0530, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> Hi,
>
> While trying to install freeBsd, I am getting following errors:
> "Unable to transfer the bin distribution from fd0, do you want to try to
> retrieve it again"
>
> Steps I followed are:
>
> 1    kern.flp
> 2    mfsroot.flp
> 3    kernel configmenu: visual mode
> 4    quit and save
> 5    /stand/sysinstall Main menu: standard
> 6     FDISK partition editor: A(Use Entire Disk) + Q(quit and save)
> 7    Install boot manager for drive ad0: standard
> 8    Free Bsd disklabel editor: A(uto defauly\s) + Q(finish)
> 9    Choose Distributions: Esc, esc, esc
> 10   choose installation media: Floppy
> at this point I could see some out put like, doing newfs -b 8192 -f 1024
> /mnt/dev/ad0*
> 11    Please insert floppy in floppy drive unit a: floppy having first 5
> binaries, a:\bin\bin*
>
> At this point I am getting above error.

Um, do you have *any* FreeBSD floppies?
You probably want another media type (like ftp).
(Note, installing from floppies is bound to be painful.)

gh

> I am using "hp brio ba210" H/W, which supports following features:
>                                     Microtower model, Intel
>                                     Celeron™, 533MHz, 64MB
>                                     128KB, 4.3GB, 40X IDE,
>                                     integrated 8MB, 56K V90 PCI
>                                     ROCKWELL, WIN98
>
> Can any one suggest the installation process, looking for your help.
>
> Thanks & Regards
> -Srini

> What, no one sings along with Ricky Martin anymore?
My kid sister does (but then, she prefers pico to vi ...)
    -- Suresh Ramasubramanian, alt.sysadmin.recovery