Date:      Thu, 05 Apr 2001 09:37:49 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   TCP New Reno algorithm

Since upgrading some of our FreeBSD systems to the latest -stable,
we've noticed that our Veritas backup throughput from the upgraded
FreeBSD clients to our Veritas server, a Sun 450, had dropped to about
3 packets per second.  Disabling the TCP New Reno algorithm (sysctl -w
net.inet.tcp.newreno=0) returned our Veritas backup throughput to about
70 packets per second.

What is the TCP New Reno algorithm supposed to do?

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC