Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 1996 22:57:09 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Demand loading (Re: FreeBSD, Zappa & PCI)

: Chuck, think a moment here.  What *technology* to implement ELF
: executables was used by SVR4?  Is it the same technology we have
: available to us?  No.  Then what?  The GNU stuff.  Has the GNU
: stuff been speaking ELF for long?  No.  I rest my case.

The GNU stuff has been generating ELF for at least four years, maybe
five now.  The cygnus "everybody chip in and we'll port to Solaris
fiasco" was in my tenure at Solbourne as a Test Engineer which started
around April 1990.  I believe they had a release within a year.

The Linux project is a little bit hozed because their library/compiler
maintainer isn't as careful as he needs to be.  That's one of the
things that made the ELF stuff such a nightmare....

That said, I'd only be keen on ELF so that Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD,
Unixware and the like can all run the same binaries :-).

Warner