Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 12:38:01 +0100
From:      "M.Vogel" <mvogel@ic.uva.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   U.S. Robotics sportster 14k4 problem... (please help)

Dear reader,

My modem (a U.S. Robotics sportster 14k4, external, fax/data) has a problem
to connect to the telephone line. It says that there is no dial tone. I ran
an internal check program (modem docter 6.0) to see if there was fine, and
indeed the program did not report any failures.
On the other hand, a Best modem, which I borrowed from a friend, has no
troubles connecting form the same line. Now I noticed that there are some
dip-switches on the sportster. Could it be that I have to change these
settings ? I have no manual for this modem, so I wonder whether you can mail
me any interesting pages  ? Furthermore I noticed some differences in the
S-registers between the Best and U.S. Robotics. Also it seems that U.S.
Robotics has a continous RLS.

I would really appreciate it if you could find time to help me.

Yours sincerely,

M. Vogel