Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 00:06:45 +1000 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   udptunnel: help required

Hello.

I'm am looking in to using UDPTUNNEL to help me get
some udp traffic from outside a firewall to the inside
network.
Specifically I have a windows box running an SNMP
agent which forwards traps when a particular event
occurs on the box.  I've spoken to someone on the
Cygwin mailing list who's advised me that udptunnel
does indeed compile under cygwin.
Assuming port 22 is open on the firewall from the
machine outside to a particular IP inside I'd like to
get ensure these SNMP traps are received by a
management station inside.  I have no control over the
firewall and there is little likelyhood I can get the
configuration changed.
What I was hoping to do was create an SSH connection
to a host inside the firewall and then redirect a
local TCP port (on the machine outside the firewall)
to a third machine (the management station) inside the
firewall.  The managment station would be running
udptunnel in server mode.  udptunnel on the machine
outside the firewall would be configured in 'client'
mode and would redirect UDP traffic to a local TCP
address (which will be forwarded by SSH).  Am I
correctly understanding how udptunnel is supposed to
work?
Can someone give me the syntax for the 'client' and
'server' ends of udptunnel if I wanted to forward SNMP
traps?
I have done a search of the mailing lists and also on
google but have not found much.
A helping hand would be appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.

PJ

http://mobile.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger for SMS
- Now send & receive IMs on your mobile via SMS