Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 19:04:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Edward Baichtal <edwardb@AirLink.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3COM 3C589C & PS/2 Mouse

It would help if you could wrap your lines at approximately column 70,
thanks.

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Edward Baichtal wrote:

> In the setup process, I tried to configure XFree86, and it hung because
> my mouse wouldn't move and keyboard commands didn't respond.  I
> rebooted, the partitions were cleaned, and then I got the message
> "ifconfig: interface zp0 does not exist" on boot up.  I noticed the
> network is configured correctly, but it lost how to contact the network
> card.  How do I fix that?  The driver still loads in the kernel, btw.

You could get back to a console by typing Cntl-Alt-F1 (assuming your
system was still responsive).  Laptops and Xfree don't go too well
together, unfortunately.

For the device, make sure the kernel is finding the zp0 device on bootup.
It should say something zp0: at 0x300 irq 10 .... and not zp0: not found.
If it isn't finding it, make sure the settings in the card and FreeBSD
match.  If they don't match, use '-c' on the Boot: prompt to fix it.

> Next part, is how (if at all) can I make the PS/2 trackball on the
> laptop operate correctly?  I noticed it conflicts at 0x60 with the
> syscons driver, and once I removed the syscons driver and realized
> quickly that was not an option.  I tried other I/O addresses for the
> PS/2 mouse (I did not change the irq because I know irq 12 is valid from
> checking it with a Win95 install, though no I/O address is listed as
> being used in Resources in Win95.) and that would cause the system not
> to boot up properly.  It would stop halfway, ask to reboot, and then
> change back to the defaults in the kernel.

You should leave psm at the given setting -- it is correct.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo