Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 14:48:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>
Cc:        lpr@istari.home.net, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions on making a port

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Stephen J. Roznowski wrote:

> I'm trying to build a port for trn4 and have a few questions:

I'm not familiar with trn.  If we already have a trn port in the
portstree, there needs to be a good reason for introducing a
version-specific port; otherwise, just talk to the maintainer of
the existing trn and ask that it be updated, offering your
update.

> 	1. What is the preferred method for running Configure?
> 	   I'm currently using:
>
> 	   CONFIGURE_SCRIPT=       Configure
> 	   CONFIGURE_ARGS=         -sde -Dprefix=${PREFIX}

If this does what you want, then use it.  In general, it is
preferrable to make adjustments to the port Makefile instead of
creating more patches/, scripts/, or files/.

But use judgement.  :)

[You also need to define HAS_CONFIGURE, of course]

> 	2. While running the Configure script, I still get prompted
> 	   to answer a question (Organization)....Should I just
> 	   create a patchfile to have a default answer?

If necessary, you can define IS_INTERACTIVE.  "Organization" is
probably sufficiently trivial that you can supply a default
answer through a patchfile.

> 	3. Normally, the make installs trn, I want to change this
> 	   to trn4. Is there a preferred method?

If the trn Makefile is well-written, you may be able to do this
by setting MAKE_ENV.  It may be necessary to use a patch.

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names