Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 18:55:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      Stefan Reinauer <stepan@suse.de>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   faked BSD disklabel to boot from SRM

Hi,

sorry, I know that this may not be the right place to ask such questions
but this list is afaik the only one whose readers may have the knowledge
to answer my questions.

The Alpha SRM console needs a BSD disklabel in the first block with an
offset of 64 and a bootstrap in the following 8k to boot from a disk.

Now I have a disk with an MSDOS disklabel from which I want to boot. I
thought of having an MSDOS disklabel in the first 512 bytes (it isn't
moveable) and a BSD disklabel in block 1 or later, similar to how this is
handled on ia32 machines.
The problem is, that SRM console won't boot from a disk with a disklabel
in the second sector (at least it is so, if my patched bootstrap writer
didn't do anything wrong)

Is there any other method to make SRM console think it can boot from an
MSDOS disklabel disk? Or do you have a theory how this could be done?

If I left out any neccessary data, please tell me.

Thanks for your time and help.

Regards,
           Stefan.

--=20
SuSE GmbH                                       Can you afford *NOT*
Schanz=E4ckerstr. 10                                     to use Linux?
D-90443 N=FCrnberg                 =09
Germany                         =09=09=09AlphaPowered