Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:53:27 +0100
From:      Miguel Ramos <freebsd@anjos.strangled.net>
To:        martin@orbweavers.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Domain Registration

Ter, 2006-04-25 =E0s 14:22 +0100, Miguel Ramos escreveu:
> >      d) Are there any good reasons not to do it this way (remember, thi=
> > is not a mission critical setup, and its main purpose is to tinker)
>=20

Also, if you only meen to tinker, try this, using only free services
(this is what I use for my home computer, anjos.strangled.net):
1- get a subdomain at freedns.afraid.org, say yourhome.afraid.org
2- configure three records on your subdomain like this:

yourhome.afraid.org NS yourhome.afraid.org.
yourhome.afraid.org NS ns1.rollernet.us.
yourhome.afraid.org NS ns2.rollernet.us.
yourhome.afraid.org A yourip (may be dynamic)

3- configure your zone file, yourhome.afraid.org, with at least the
following:

@ NS yourhome.afraid.org.
@ NS ns1.rollernet.us.
@ NS ns2.rollernet.us.
@ A yourip (may be dynamic)

and perhaps,

@ MX 0 yourhome.afraid.org.
@ MX 10 mail.rollernet.us.
@ MX 10 mail2.rollernet.us.

4- go to rollernet.us and activate secondary dns (and backup mx) for
your domain.

This is the best I could come up with for me.

Sugestion #2: Peek on other people's setups using a combination of
WHOIS, dns lookups and reverse lookups to find out which services they
use.

--
Miguel