Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 16:30:57 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Cc:        atrens@nortelnetworks.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Subject:   Re: problem with vnconfig -s labels ...

>Hmmm, I know this is your code, but are you sure? 8-). My understanding of
>dkmodslice() and friends is that they manipulate dev_t entries, but don't
>actually initialise them. Since the subr_diskslice code takes a dev_t

dkmodslice() once just manipulated bits in dev_t scalars.  Now that dev_t
is a pointer, dkmodslice() has to create something for the pointer to
point to.  That something needs to be fully initialised and not created
more than once.  The initialisation is apparently incomplete.  Multiple
creation is avoided by searching the list of previously created entries.

Now I understand why my memory is filling up with unused dev_t
entries :-).  subr_diskslice churns through a not insignificant part
of the per-drive minor number space (32 slices * 8 partitions * {raw,
buffered}), using dkmodslice to create new dev_t's.

Bruce