Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:42:14 -0500
From:      "Jeff Brooke" <jeff@mobydark.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   driver for Matrox Meteor II frame grabber

------=_NextPart_000_0327_01C087B6.EFB52E40

Hello All,

I am fairly new to freebsd, but have been asked to develop a driver for =
the Matrox Meteor II card. (To the best of my knowledge, there is =
currently no such driver in fbsd, please correct me if I'm wrong..)

My first initial thoughts were, 'ok, let's base it as much as possible =
on the Meteor I driver, naturally making changes for hardware =
differences where applicable. However, I've just read a couple of =
archive entries about a new method for drivers based on a 'newbus' =
system.

My questions are: (i) where, if at all, can I find =
info/tutorials/examples on driver-writing with this method? (ii) what =
are the benefits of the newbus method? (iii) is it still at all =
acceptable to write drivers using the old style/method?

If these issues are better posted to another mailing list, please =
advise...

Thanks very much in advance,
Jeff Brooke

------=_NextPart_000_0327_01C087B6.EFB52E40

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello All,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am fairly new to freebsd, but have =
been asked to=20
develop a driver for the Matrox Meteor II card. (To the best of my =
knowledge,=20
there is currently no such driver in fbsd, please correct me if I'm=20
wrong..)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My first initial thoughts were, 'ok, =
let's base it=20
as much as possible on the Meteor I driver, naturally&nbsp;making =
changes for=20
hardware differences where applicable. However, I've just read a couple =
of=20
archive entries about a new method for drivers based on a 'newbus'=20
system.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My questions are: (i) where, if at all, =
can I find=20
info/tutorials/examples on driver-writing with this method? (ii) what =
are the=20
benefits of the newbus method? (iii) is it still at all acceptable to =
write=20
drivers using the old style/method?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If these issues are better posted to =
another=20
mailing list, please advise...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks very much in =
advance,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jeff Brooke</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0327_01C087B6.EFB52E40--