Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:56:36 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ricochet Setup

> "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM> probably said:
> > I've got one of the newer Richocet2 modems, and it does work with the
> > "older" R1 networks deployed in Seattle, SF Bay and Washington DC.  As I
> > was using it on a Sony C1X with no serial ports, the USB interface was
> > real important for me.  The USB interface for the modem simply looks like
> > a USB serial device.  Under windows, you can fire up a terminal emulator
> > on the serial port and do the same AT commands as before.
>
> Is there support for the USB device under freebsd ?

I haven't tried the R2 modem specifically on FreeBSD, but I didn't
think there was general support yet for USB serial devices.  There
is no driver to speak of for windows; just an INF file that causes
Windows to use it's existing generic USB serial driver.  I would take
that to mean nothing special would be required on FreeBSD, other than
the generic USB serial driver.

> > It's great news about the Novatel announcement; that will be very cool
> > when it's available.  I'm on their technical advisory board, so if there's
> > some info you'd like me to pass along, let me know.
>
> I don't think "I want the boston network on !" would be very useful ;)

I'm waiting for the Baltimore area to turn up myself.  I've seen "Men
In Trucks" doing site survey stuff, so it looks like it's coming.  Boston
is also in the the announced list of cities they're doing in the
first wave of a dozen or so.

> Just the usual of making sure theres free unix support - specs
> available, that kind of thing.

Will do.  I know they previously did a great job of document the AT
command set for the original modems, and hope (and will encourage them)
to do the same with the R2 modems.

louie